Americas Student Symposium on Emerging Technologies
All scholarships have been granted. Applications are now closed.
A special program called ASSET (Americas Student Symposium on Emerging Technologies) will be run at MobiCom as part of SIGMOBILE’s student outreach program. Student participants at ASSET will be divided into small groups and each group will be provided with an excellent and dynamic research mentor who will help them hone their research skills.
In particular, ASSET is designed to help students improve their research skills in four ways:
- Improve their ability to present their ideas in written form by working on and continuously improving a 1 page summary of their research plan ⇒ This will improve their ability to write research papers
- Improve their ability to present their ideas by allowing each participant to present their research ideas in the form of a poster at the main conference poster presentation session ⇒ This will improve their ability to interest people in their research work when they are given time to present the details
- Improve their ability to present a quick 30s summary (aka "elevator pitch") of their research by asking each participant to summarise their research to their research mentor every day. ⇒ This will improve their ability to convince people that their research ideas are worth listening to!
- Improve their ability to understand and appreciate world class research by attending the talks and presentations at MobiCom and interacting with the MobiCom attendees (a "who’s who" of mobile computing researchers from around the world!) ⇒ This will spark new ideas and collaborations with students, faculty, and industry researchers from top universities and companies located around the world. It will also energize your desire to conduct world class research as you will be immersed in a world class research environment for your entire ASSET stay.
We are co-locating ASSET with MobiCom as MobiCom is the *premier* research conference for mobile computing research. As such, world-class researchers from all the top universities and industry research labs (e.g. Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc.) will attend. In addition, many graduate students from around the world will also attend making this a perfect venue to start collaborative research with like-minded research individuals.
Previous RunsThis will be the 3rd incarnation of ASSET with the first two being in Asia.
- ASSET 2016 co-located with MobiSys in Singapore https://www.sigmobile.org/mobisys/2016/symposium/Asset/
- ASSET 2018 co-located with COMSNETS in Bengalaru, India https://www.comsnets.org/archive/2018/asset.html
The huge success of previous versions has given us the drive to extend ASSET to every world regions and MobiCom being held in Mexico was a perfect opportunity to do so.
How to attend ASSET?
Slots are limited to just *20* graduate student participants (preference given to Ph.D. students) -- preferably from Mexico, Central, and South America.
Interested graduate students should email Rajesh ASAP if they would like to attend!! The email should be sent to
- “Rajesh Balan (firstname.lastname@example.org)”
- Subject title of “ASSET 2019: Application”
- Attach a 1 page CV and a 1 page research statement
- In the body of the email, just provide a short explanation (a few sentences) for why you want to attend ASSET
Every student participant selected for ASSET will be provided a special scholarship, courtesy of ACM SIGMOBILE, to attend.What is covered
- 5 nights stay at the MobiCom 2019 conference hotel - Paradisus Los Cabos
- Check-in on Oct 20th (Sunday) and checkout on Oct 25th (Friday)
- Triple sharing single-sex rooms most likely
- All food and beverages during the stay. This is an all-inclusive resort and everything is covered https://www.melia.com/en/hotels/mexico/los-cabos/paradisus-los-cabos/all-inclusive-paradisus.htm
- All conference and workshop fees for MobiCom. This allows entry to both workshop days (Oct 21th and Oct 25th) and the entire conference and all events (Oct 22nd to Oct 24th)
- The total value of the support provided to each student is slightly more than USD $1,000.
- Transportation costs to get to and from the venue — Paradisus Los Cabos
- Any other costs that are not covered by the all-inclusive hotel rate
Rajesh Krishna Balan, Singapore Management University